Delineating the New Pedagogy for Digital Storytelling


Dana Huff’s 2017 article, “Telling the Story of America: Digital Storytelling Projects in American Literature,” and Megan Fulwiler and Kim Middleton’s 2012 article, “After Digital Storytelling: Video Composing in the New Media Age,” both discuss the benefits of using digital storytelling in the classroom and how it can be done. Huff uses digital storytelling as a way for her students to better relate with the material of her American literature class: “I wanted my students to see themselves in the literature we read” (33). To do so, she closely followed the model set up by StoryCenter (previously known as The Center for Digital Storytelling, which is how Fulwiler and Middleton refer to it) to help give her students the rudimentary tools to build storytelling videos of their own. StoryCenter helpfully provides her students with step-by-step workshops that helpfully gives them structure for their early digital storytelling work.

Differently, Fulwiler and Middleton discuss the use of digital storytelling in their two-week Personal Essay Filmmaking course. Although they recognize the importance of StoryCenter’s contribution to proliferating digital storytelling, they find critical flaws in StoryCenter’s linear model of “write/film/edit” (42). This linearity, Fulwiler and Middleton assert, significantly ignores two processes involved in digital storytelling: first, the recursivity of composition and second, the way in which multi-media compositions require storytellers to carefully and seamlessly blend different modes (audio/visual/textual/etc.) to create meanings for audiences. They identify these forgotten processes respectively as “new recursivity” and “compositing.” The educators argue that StoryCenter’s linear model, which begins with writing before any filming or editing, “can too easily neglect the meaning-making potential of images and sounds by reducing them to mere 'translations' of written script” (42). Fulwiler and Middleton's suggestion of emphasizing the new recursivity and compositing involved with digital storytelling seeks to do-away with these "translations."

Therefore, while both articles are arguing for the use of digital storytelling, Fulwiler and Middleton seem to argue for a better understanding of how we should incorporate the mode in our classrooms. To that end, I agree: both new recursivity and compositing are processes that an instructor should highlight if she/he includes digital storytelling in the class. And digital storytelling seems to me to be an exciting avenue for creating new compositions. One particular work of digital storytelling that I’m looking forward to incorporating in my ENGL 210 class this semester is Teju Cole’s “A Piece of the Wall,” which is an essay told entirely through Twitter. A picture is of the beginning is below, but here’s a link if you want more: https://twitter.com/apieceofthewall?lang=en.
 
In just around 250 tweets (and re-tweets) between multiple accounts (the narrator and different speakers), Cole built a straight-to-twitter non-fiction essay on immigration. It's difficult to say how exactly reading a serious essay on Twitter affects everyone as a reader, but it seems clear to me that Cole's decision to use the medium is one way of making his work reach different and wider audiences. There are copies of the essay as a single document, but I’m excited to ask my students to read through the tweets and see how they feel it affected them.

In addition to more traditional storytelling models, I have also seen digital technology used by poets in exciting ways. Last year, one of the graduating MFA poets built a poem-generator program that was filled with thousands of words and grammatical phrases—the generator would randomize the parts of speech and produce poems, which the poet would then rethink and revise. Although I’m not sure if there were many poems that were kept in full, he found the process both fun and helpful in that it forced him to rethink how he was constructing his sentences. If anything, it forced me to think about the role of a writer: the words and phrase were the poets, and the program was also made by the poet, but would a poem written exclusively by the program really be his poem? This, of course, is a completely different area from the digital storytelling discussed in the articles, but I think it's significant to consider how digital technology already has more avenues for storytelling than simply videos.

One interesting thing that came up for me while I was reading is how digital storytelling builds on and highlights for us the processes we already know and take for granted in other, more traditional forms of storytelling. This highlighting seems to be a central aspect to Fulwiler and Middleton’s discussion of ‘new recursivity’. As clearly shown in its name, new recursivity builds upon previous research that “made the case that writing was not a linear progressive path but a multiply recursive set of cognitive processes” (Fulwiler & Middleton 41). New recursivity takes into account the way new media and its multi-modality affect us differently in the composition process, but it essentially builds on our understanding of traditional composition as a multi-recursive process. Therefore, Fulwiler and Middleton remind us that digital storytelling needs to be considered as recursive as other forms of composition.


Similarly, Huff reminds us of the importance of references and of legal usage of sources is by mentioning her students’ search for music and pictures for their digital storytelling videos. For both music and pictures, Huff  taught her students how to search for public domain and Creative Commons license pieces so they could legally incorporate the audio/visuals into their work. Although the two processes are clearly different, this search for legal-to-use music, videos, and pictures forces me to think of citations. This is because we need to teach them for essentially the same reasons: so our students know how to legally and responsibly use resources. Like with new recursivity, the stress on legal usage shows how processes with digital storytelling build on processes we use elsewhere in composition. This building-on strikes me as important to note because it highlights how new media compositions are not simply a new mode, but it’s a mode that directly connects to and expands on our understanding of composition in general. Resultantly, we as instructors already have some of the tools to teach something as new as digital storytelling because we teach parts of it already. Are there other aspects of digital storytelling that remind you of parts of composition you already teach/have taught?

Yet, while I see digital storytelling as an exciting possibility, I’m a little wary of how it will fit in the classroom because of how much time is required for students to become literate within the new modes. In other words, I’m worried that putting digital storytelling in a class might take more time than it’s worth—which I think is a concern I find other teachers considering when it comes to incorporating certain technologies. Will digital storytelling benefit my class enough to necessitate teaching audio and video editing softwares? Although I do not think this concern is enough for me to not consider using digital storytelling, it is enough for me to find that Fulwiler and Middleton’s critique of StoryCenter’s model a bit harsh. This is because StoryCenter, as Huff describes it, offers a streamlined option for including digital storytelling in a class where it might not otherwise fit neatly (like American literature). I think in order to incorporate digital storytelling into certain English courses, it might be necessary to teach some of the skills required to create a digital story in a streamlined way. Which leads me to some of my questions for the class: How do you feel about fitting a digital storytelling section into your curriculum? Are there classes that might better adapt to digital storytelling than others? How much time do you think you should spend teaching certain digital storytelling skills if you were to include a digital storytelling unit in your curriculum?


Comments

  1. Thanks for this, Kieran. Once you read Adam's post, you'll see some interesting convergences and divergences in your responses to both articles. Like you, I feel that Fulwiler and Middleton's critiques of the StoryCenter model to be a bit too harsh, especially when we consider the curricular and technological constraints faced by most secondary school teachers. While I agree that the privileging of text can be limiting, I think their comparison (which you helpfully point out) to the recursive process of writing undermines their point. If the writing process is already recursive, why would the writing-centered model of digital storytelling make it more linear? The example of Candice demonstrates that working with other modes after writing caused the story itself to be enriched - digital storytelling just actively asks students to "think with" other modes. That is where I think their most persuasive argument lies: "When composers use multiple modes as tools for thinking rather than just to visually illustrate a completed script, they actually generate new meaning" (44). I'm on board with this claim. I just don't think that starting with writing necessarily makes the process more linear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to the technological constraints you mention Alex, the more I read about this topic the more I reflect on the types of students you have in your classroom defining the process you use for your digital story telling projects. Huff seems to have a class with predominately ESL or formerly ESL students and with that population emphasizing the writing and rewriting portions is pretty necessary because your goal is to immerse students in the language in order to have them learn and develop the skills they need. I may come off as a bit of a stickler for formats and procedures but I really do think that in a lot of ways linearity may not necessarily be a bad thing particularly when first introducing a new medium to the classroom the way that Fulwiler and Middleton seem to.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that digital storytelling seems to be an exciting genre for creating new compositions. I really like that Twitter essay. I would be interested to hear how your students react to being assigned such an essay. I read a bit of it on Twitter and didn’t think Cole’s choice of genre took away from the tone of it, but I could see why it might difficult for younger students who don’t yet see genre as a rhetorical choice.

    I also agree with your concern about implementing some of this technology in class. Genres like digital story writing are meant to enhance compositions while providing students with more stylistic options, which is great, however I think some of these methods may take an unnecessary amount of class time to teach. Perhaps it would be useful to have students watch a couple tutorial videos for homework, so that way you wouldn’t have to spend a superfluous amount of time in class teaching it.

    In response to your questions, I would love to use some of this technology in my class rather than traditional forms of composition, but I think I would need to look into it more. Personally, being someone who is very comfortable with traditional forms, I would need to learn a lot more about digital types of composition. Maybe it’s a good thing I’m taking this course then. As mentioned above, I think if I did use digital storytelling in a class, I would introduce students to whichever program we would be using, but have them learn the program on their own for homework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yet, while I see digital storytelling as an exciting possibility, I’m a little wary of how it will fit in the classroom because of how much time is required for students to become literate within the new modes."

    I think this issue is something we as a class have been stuck on since the first week. There's so much potential in digital storytelling, we see the benefits, but we also see the possibility of the opposite. We don't want to waste time in the literacy department: we need a better way of multitasking. There needs to be simultaneous education on how to use and actual use.

    "Are there classes that might better adapt to digital storytelling than others?"

    As for this question: I think any class that is more dependent on creation will lend itself well to digital storytelling. English, art, and history would be the best candidates in my mind. English and art allow for students to create their own projects, while history would be more about the remixing and appropriation of facts to relay them in a modern way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kieran, thanks for this post! In regards to your worries about whether teaching these software programs will be more time than it's worth to expose the student to a new form of writing or storytelling, I would look to other types of courses that likely face challenges very much the same. I'm thinking about the political science teacher that now has to take time to explain the importance of and teach media literacy in an age of constant information and misinformation. I'm thinking about the gym teacher trying to teach a kid the fundamentals of basketball, while at the same time wondering if teaching students data analytics could be far more important to their success in the sport. Basically, my point is every educator is having to adapt. I'm not sure nor do I have the experience to help with the question of how to streamline these technologies into curriculum. It's going to be a disruption but one that I think is worthy of class time.

    I was really taken with the scene that Huff described of her student staring at a blank Google Doc knowing what he wanted to write but not knowing where to start. As a fledgling tutor in the Writing Nook, it was interesting to see how she approached the students writing inertia. It was like a collaborative writing session: she asked open ended questions relevant to the topic, her questions were guiding her student towards a goal, she read back his "own words" to him, and he had figured out how to get going on his project. Yet, his feedback afterwards could be worrisome and fall in line with the concerns you expressed above. Was he sitting there knowing what he wanted to say but couldn't get started because he didn't feel he had the proper mastery of the tools he needed to use. In other words, was he less concerned with the creative process than the new tools he needed to use to complete his work? His feedback included that he would have liked to have the different applications on his computer taught to him throughout the year. Clearly, the tools got in the way at the end and how they were taught didn't seemed to have been streamlined from the feedback. You raise a really good point and I wish I had a better way to answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kieran, thank you for this. I actually think the idea of incorporating digital storytelling into a class is great. However, I think it depends on what type of class it is. In my
    ENG 101 classes, my students are required to do one digital paper. This was something I decided a few semesters ago. They write the traditional MLA essay 3 times. The reason I decided this is much like what these two articles discuss. The world outside of academia is changing. Knowing how to compose writing digitally is becoming more necessary. The students can do anything they like as long as it is digital. I have not gone so far as to force them to create video, however some do. For the most part, I just make them write a paper in the form of a blog or a website. They still have to cite from the text and include sources, but it's a different way to convey a message that they usually enjoy. That being said, I am definitely considering changing my assignment if this assignment goes well enough for me and I can actually see how it's done. I'd need to apply it before I can teach it. I do think that we, as educators, should consider the way younger students are absorbing information. This might just be an inevitable way to reach them in the future. To engage them. I am interested in this and definitely think there is a place for it. Depending on the class, though. If there's one class that might benefit most, I'd say it's the creative writing classroom. But, I see it fitting in with others, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Blog. As I mentioned last week in class, I don't know which you student you are, so please let me know!

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry! I wasn't here last week. I just switched to my google account. It's Jessica Melendy.

      Delete
  7. I am all for learning and teaching digital storytelling in my classes, as I see it as a great avenue for both written composition and close reading. My only concern, which is in addition to the time comsuming aspect, is the amount of resources needed. Yes, it can be done using free programs such as google docs, google sites, etc., but getting one’s hands on the actual devices can be difficult. These concerns were also brought up in the chapter from Because Digital Writing Matters that we read for this week, wherein many schools either have limited tech gathering dust in the corner, or they have to schedule time to move their students into a computer lab in stilted amounts of class time. I actually ran this by a good friend of mine who is currently a special ed. teacher at a public middle school, who made the point that his school would not have the bandwith to provide the resources needed to have such tech-immersive projects for his students. He also mentioned that though we are living in such a time where most students have access to internet-connected devices, some of his students still don’t have access to them at home. Not to mention that I only left high school five years ago, and the majority of classrooms had computers. I was lucky enough to have been able to buy a laptop with my parents help. All that said, yes I am a proponent for teaching digital story-telling for all of its benefits, such as writing for a tangible audience, learning resourse responsibility, multimedia/multi-genre analysis, I think my focus is attaining the resourses and devices first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to write that the majority of classrooms at my high school did NOT have computers in them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts